Featured Recipe: Pureed Potato Soup
This is the perfect take on potato soup… It’s just the right amount of creaminess, combined with crispy and flavorful bacon. The whole family is sure to love this recipe!
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 leeks, green parts removed and discarded, white parts chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, removed from stems
- 1 tablespoon paprika, plus additional for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- A dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup shredded New York style cheddar cheese (extra sharp cheddar)
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Scallions, for garnish
- Sour cream, optional for garnish
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until golden brown. Remove cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
2. Add leeks and garlic to the bacon fat and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add in the thyme, paprika, some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Add potatoes and stock to the pot and bring up to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium and simmer the potatoes until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
5. When the potatoes are tender, puree the soup until smooth using a blender, food processor or immersion blender.
6. Adjust the seasoning as needed with salt, freshly ground black pepper and hot sauce, if desired.
7. Serve the soup in a bowl or mug topped with some of the two cheeses, reserved bacon, a sprinkling of scallions, a dollop of sour cream and a dash of paprika.